Tuesday 4 February 2014

Weathering On Track Model's VLCX

Hi Guy's

Just had a little bit of a play with one of the new On Track Models VLCXs. I made a couple of Modifications mainly to make it fit in with my fleet of wagons.

I will do a little bit more work to the roof. The roof would be the hardest thing to weather up on these Vans. It is hard to get the right look. I masked up and resprayed the Red to give it a faded look which was Floquil Zinc Chrom Primer with a little bit of Floquil Aged Concrete mixed in. Most of the rust spots are Floquil Tuscan darkened with a little Floquil Engine Black.
 
The Modifications that I did are as follows;
 
I removed the step under the doors. In my era there wasn't many VLCX left with this step in place. They were a bit more common on the first series of VLCX's(1-135) with the timber floors but the ones with steel floors, they were rare to have these steps. These steps were probably a feature of all the vans when first built. The pack that I got which was VLCX-3 had one of first series and two of the later series (136-660). On the first series one I am going to leave the step on.
 
One my 2 second series Vans I have also removed the striker plate from above the Couplers. On the second series vans this doesn't seem to be a feature. I have left it on the first series van as they are on them but probably not as large as featured on the model. I have also moved the coupler box in by about 1.2mm. It is now basically flush with the end of the Vans.
 
I added KD number 58 couplers.
 
I added a mix of AR kits and SEM bogies to the Vans as I have standardised my fleet using only these bogies. 
 
Anyway that is a bit of look at these nice Vans
 
 
Cheers Justin Moy
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Nice weathering job, Justin. '... to weather or not to weather...', as old Shakespeare might have said. It seams to divide the modelling world. I think it is essential, if we want to achieve any degree of realism... Cheers, Walter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Walter, I simply work from Photographs are try to make them look as close as possible. I think that way you can't go wrong. Cheers Justin Moy

    ReplyDelete
  3. And try!!!!!! I am not good at this either?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your modeling is excellent Justin. I've just finished detailing my 1st Trainorama VLCX van. Not as good as yours though. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete