44211/4520 approaches Killawarra in 2010

44211/4520 approaches Killawarra in 2010

Wednesday, 21 November 2012

8002 in Action

Hi Guy's,

After doing lots of work to a model, my favourite thing is to then get some photographs of it in Action. So here is some shots of my Super Detailed Austrains 80 class in Action on the Wingham Layout house at the Taree & District Model Railway Club inc

8002 pauses at Wingham to change the staff with 6235 express frieght as 8035 looks on after a failure earlier in the day
 
While 8002 sits at the platform with 6235 express frieght, 4485/4499 take the loop with 6382 empty steel
 
8002 approaches Wingham with 6372 frieght
 
8002 crosses Cedar Party Creek as it approaches Wingham with 6372 frieght
 
8002 shunts Wingham Yard and is about to collect 8035 which had failed the previous day
 
Another angle of it shunting
 
Cheers Justin Moy
 
 
 
 
 

Wednesday, 14 November 2012

The Making of 8002

Hi Guy's

I have always wanted to attempt a major detailing job and I see an Austrains 80 class as a good model that could use a good detail job. I could probably thank Austrains for their 80 class. It bought me back to modeling as I had started modeling BNSF. I still have some of my BNSF stuff but a NSW modeler is what I am now. I guess with all the stuff that we have RTR now it would of been something else but the 80 class bought me back from the dark side so to speak. Anyway here it is pretty much finished;

 
 
I have modeled it for a time period from 1992 to 1997 where it met it's end up at Acacia Ridge due to a shunting mishap and was cut up on site. I have photo's of it around this time with a red AC unit on one side and a Blue AC unit on the other. 
 
Now for a few shots of the detailing work, I am not going to great detail as I have done all this from photographs and I have not real messurements to work from;
 
 I use styrene for the Chassis Rails and use ILM  replacement Air tank. I didn't want to cut it in half for the 2 tanks so I just cut a groove into it to present the 2 tanks. I cut a gap between the Battery Boxes and added heaps of pipe work using whatever I had available on my work bench at the time. I added ILM lifting points too. I use 2 for each point so that the body could seperate.
 
 Here is another shot. I used Staples quite a bit for detail as that are easy to work with and strong. I use a staple to hold the park brake chain. I simply inserted the staple through a link of the chain and bent the staple 180 degrees around the chain
 
A close up of the side showing some of the styrene work for the frame. also the ILM staff exchanger that has been added
 
Some of the work that I did to the bogies. I used Kerroby Models 442 class brake cyclinders and loco steps. All the pipe work and styrene work is just scratch
A close up of the bogies
 
This photo was taken by Paul Vanderstelt and shows the bracket on the side of the Bogie that supports a large Damper attached to the frame of the loco. I can only guess that this is to dampen the side ways movement of the bogie. 
 
 
Here is a shot of the model about ready for the paint shop. I had added ILM replacement pilots at the stage and brass air hoses. other little details like the wire steps in the staff exchanger were added. The Air Horns are ILM.
 
This shot shows some of the masking work involved in the weathering process. Cutting the line mask for the panel strips was fine work. It was necessary to show the faded panels of the prototype. I was working on a couple of reverse 80's for Greg Riddel at the same time.
 
Here is a shot of one of Gregs 80's
 
One shot to finish off.
 
Next shot will hopefully have it on a train
 
Cheers Justin Moy 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  

Monday, 5 November 2012

Lots of Projects

Hi Guy's

Since I have been a live at home dad for just over 3 months now. I thought I would be able to get lots of work done. Well young Hannah has had other idea's but I can say I am now getting on top of things and starting to get some real work done. I have plenty of projects that I have just been plodding along with. With times being hard atm trying to live off one wage, I have been doing up a little bit of stuff to sell, as car rego is just going to kill us. When you start getting power bill of nearly $1000, it is just getting too hard. All I can say is thinkyou to the Government for taxing the ordinary people of Australia into the ground. Anyway looks like I will be back in the work force again very soon.

Anyway enough of a gripe about the world and onto some modelling.

Some Weathering projects

Bendigo models T340
 
Trainorama 948
 
Auscision E Car Set
 
Here is some projects that I have been working on
 
I have been up dating my 5 ILM NLDF's. My plan is to bring them up to the level of detail as some of my new RTR stuff like the Auscision NLKY's and OTM VLEX's. Plenty still to do with new steps and underfloor detail. But one thing I have been working on it making up code boards and L7 logo's. These are the first trials shown. These are basically Photographs of real boards that I have sized down the glue straight on the Van. It is good to have a pre-weathered L7 Logo to use. Anyway updates as they come.
 
I have been working on Super Detailing this Austrains 80 class. What started as a project to get rid of the box around the weight above the fuel tank has spiralled out of control. This will be 8002 when finished. More updates as they come.
 
Cheers Justin Moy