44211/4520 approaches Killawarra in 2010

44211/4520 approaches Killawarra in 2010

Saturday, 30 December 2017

Hi Guy's,

Firstly I would like to wish everyone a happy new year

I know I had promised some more activity on my Blog. It will be coming.

Something that has just happened is the end of Intermodal work for Aurizon. When it all started back around 2004/2005 as Queensland Rail National (QRN) it added some real interest on the North Coast Line through Taree. Plenty of Colour and Loco's that had never been up here before. I put allot of thought into modelling QRN back then and I started to collect some items. Due to my lack of funds to feed my hobby, I decided against this and stuck to my 1990/1994 time period. Anyway here is a photo essay of some of the earlier QRN stuff on the coast. Please enjoy

First LDP lead train

First Quad LDP's

First SCT loading

First 6000 class while crew training

Cheers Justin Moy

Saturday, 1 July 2017

Making simple shunters steps for rollingstock

Hi Guy's

Just a quick one. Here is a way that I have been replacing and adding shunters steps to my rollingstock. RTR rollingstockstock is always improving and some of the latest stuff has this issue of easily broken and snapped off plastic shunters steps addressed with metal steps. This is great but to address the issue of replacing the plastic steps in a cost effective way, I am using simple 2/26 staples from the kids pencil case. I have some photo's that go a long way to describe the process rather than boring you all with heaps of words.

I just use a pair of needle nose plyers to straighten
out the staple
as such
Then bend into the shape required
In this case I am adding shunters steps to an
Auscision NLJX. after looking at many photos
of these in my era of the early 90's. It looks like
most of the NLJX's still in service at that time
had shunters steps fitted
I drilled in on a bit of an angle as to not drill
through the louvres
I then added the step
Then placing some superglue on the end of an
old hobby knife I touched in behind the steps
to glue in place
Next time I will put the bend in the staple before
trying to bend the step back to straight on the model
as the staple proved pretty hard and caused some
damage to the model. I repaired this and continued on

Next step was to add some 1x2 (8102) Evergreen
strip Styrene to the steps. This is to represent the
angle iron that the step is bolted onto the wagon.
The angle iron would be welded to the wagon so
that if a step was damaged it could in most cases
be replace with bolts rather that a welding job.
I ran the styrene along a bead of superglue and
then using long lengths for easy handling glue to
the side of the steps
It is just a case of using a single edge razer blade
to cut the styrene off at the required length.
The end result is something that can pass for a
shunters step after painting white
This Auscision NLKY was much the same. The
styrene was extended upward from the step that
was mounted right at the base of the wagon.
I grab iron also had to be added to the NLJX. This
was added using brass wire

This is a shot by Norm Bray that shows a NLJY
so fitted with a shunters step

This photo was also used as a base for the weathering below

Cheers Justin Moy

Monday, 5 June 2017

Hi Guy's,

I haven't been doing much rail photography lately. I have been probably averaging one Train per Month for the last year or so. When SCT started to run their own trains up the coast near the start of this year most of my rail photography outings have been based around recording this train. I am happy with what I have now. Maybe if they start running the CSR locos on this train I will get out again to get something different rather than the SCT loco's

These are the pick of the pic.

A couple of PN and Aurizon Trains

As the SCT train remains relatively short, I have taken the opportunity to record the entire consist. Could be handy for someone that wants to Model the train without having to make it 15 metres long. These side on shots have not been edited other than cropped. So please feel free to copy them for future use if you are interested. All the code boards should be legible when you look at the full Res. files. I wish that 25 years I had this digital technology as to record a train this way was just not possible with film. This Train ran on Sunday 18th February 2017 as 7BM9 seen at Mount George

Hope this is of interest

Cheers Justin Moy