44211/4520 approaches Killawarra in 2010

44211/4520 approaches Killawarra in 2010

Wednesday, 28 March 2012

NCNX

Hi Guy's

Just a quick one. I had recently bought an IDR NCNX kit from Hobbyland at Hornsby. I have a 4 pack of the Auscision RCSF's but I had only worked on 3 of them. The reason for this was to look into making the other into a NCNX. The IDR kit solved this problem in ways. I could of made it into a NCNX with the parts available but what I decided to do was swap over the tops so that I could get a CSX with tarp supports. Anyway the photo below explains the process better;
Some paintwork, decalling and weathering required

I have a couple of the new Bendigo Rail Models T class Loco's passing over my bench ATM.

Here is a quick photo of T413 which is a real nice looking model

Cheers Justin Moy

Thursday, 15 March 2012

RBFX Photo's

Hi Guy's

I have just scanned some photo's out of my collect of some RBFX Vans. These I would think maybe stored at Broken Hill. These shot were taken by Steve McElroy in October 2000 and he has been kind enough to let me share these photo's on my Blog. These shots show some of the effects that I will be after when I weather my lot of ABFX's.
RBFX2661-G
RBFX2789-O
RBFX2810-F
RBFX4470-X
RBFX4486-H
RBFX4491-C

Photo's like these shot in full sun light are gold as far as I am concerned. I am not the best at scanning prints but these shots show the effects of weathering very well.

Anyway back to weathering up the first two Guinea Pigs.

Cheers Justin Moy  





Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Getting ready for some paint

Hi Guy's

I have started working on my AOOX, AKJY and ABFX wagons and realised what a huge project it will be. I have been going over them and see what I can improve and modify to make them my own.

Firstly the ABFX Vans. I have sat them on AR Kits bogies as I do with most of my rollingstock and come to the conclusion that they sit too low. So the best fix I have found is to sit washers in the raise the height. I found that Kadee Red Washers give about the best height. I had to ream out the centre of the washers a little to make them fit. Also the couplers are a little bit too far in. This is not a problem that you would usually have. It become evident when you sit two ABFX's together and study photographs of them for real. I drilled new holes for the Coupler Box screws too move the box out by 1mm. The holes are very close together and nearly overlap. I also lowered the coupler box by 15 thou. using styrene.
I have also fitted the maximum amount of plates to this Van. These are plates that were used in previous paint jobs and not removed when it received AN Paint. All the others that I do will have various panels or prehaps none. But this one will have them all. Now for the Masking?

The AOOX wagons are going to present a challenge of their own. I have redone the Exchange plates because after studying photographs, I think they are too big. I will need to paint these yellow as the decals that I have are not large enough to cover the boards. I have placed most of the original boards on this wagon as well but the old Commonwealth Railways plate will be missing on the other side. I am going to paint the inside of this wagon in the old red as many of these open wagons never had there insides repainted. When I do this, I will paint where the missing plate is and then mask up over this for the AN Green paint job. Hopefully this will get the effect that I am after?
The other modification that I have carried out on this open wagon was to add some bolster detail. I think Auscision have omitted this detail to help the 75 footer get around tight curves. This is a detail that you can see from track level so I have placed them back on. I have used 3/16 Styrene Channel
 (266) for this job. BTW I use 15 Thou styrene sheet for the panels.
Anyway I hope you guy's are having as much fun as me?

Cheers Justin Moy



  
  

Thursday, 1 March 2012

RKWY weathering examples

Hi Guy's

Today with the age of digital photography, I try to photo as much rollingstock that interest me. After all it is not costly to take the digital shots. The only cost for me is the cards as I don't re-use cards. I start with a new one and it becomes another form of digital storage when the card is full. So here is a few shots I have taken over the last couple of years of some RKWY's as they were going past. One thing about the Old AKJY's is that the weathering has remained much the same over the time that NR and PN have had them so the same principals can be used for the weathering. Here is the shots;

The approach that I think I will take will be to mask up the code boards etc. Then spray the model with a faded mixture of Green. Probably use Floquil Burlington Northern Green with a little bit of Rust or Rail Brown in the mix. This will be to get the general colour of the wagon. Then there will be some work with different shades in curtain areas. Then washes of paint. Mostly between the ribs with a Rust/Rail Brown mix. Anyway I will go into more detail as I get to it.

Cheers Justin Moy