44211/4520 approaches Killawarra in 2010

44211/4520 approaches Killawarra in 2010

Sunday, 10 November 2013

44237

Hi Guy's

I have just finished this Austrains 44237. I have had this one sitting around for a long time in various stages of work. But I had a few of these Jumbo's on the bench so I decided to bite the bullet and finish it off. This was a major detailing job similar to my 8002 that I have Blogged previously. I am not going to go into this detailing. My main aim of this Blog is to show it off.

I have detailed this jumbo up to a reasonable standard. There are other things that I could of done but there is a point that I have to stop or I will never get anything finished. Here is a bit of a Photographic essay of the work done to this loco.
I realised I made a mistake here. I did both pilots the same. The pipe work at the top of the pilot is a mirror image on the other end of the loco as the pipes only run down one side of the loco. When I do the next Jumbo I will do them the other way around and swap one pilot of this loco
Some pipe detail on the bogies. On my 8002 project I cut up parts of the bogies so that I could get all the wheel Journals in the right locations. I haven't done that with this one and that will bug me for a while. I may have to revisit this at a later date as I now have many spare side frames to play around with. So the fact that there is 2 Speedo locations on the bogie will get fixed one day.
The pilot fitted with KD 58 Couplers. For the Paintwork on this Loco, I resprayed the Red with a coat of light Grey. I let it harden for a couple of weeks then sprayed a faded coat of Railey's Candy Red with a little bit of Floquil Grime mixed it. I then went about lightly sanding the paint to try and give the effect of years of steam cleaning on the paint. Areas that I wasn't happy I went over with some of the light grey with a brush.
This was the result of the sanding back
 
For the staff exchangers I used ILM 80 class exchangers. The Jumbo Staff Exchanger Pocket is a bit wider then the 80 class so I widened the Exchanger to suit as seen in these pictures
 
 
This picture was the loco at the stage of decaling and finishing off the weathering
Most the detailing work was done. There was just the hand rail and grab iron detail to add.
 
This is the finished product. I will go into more detail when I do some more Jumbo's. I have put cab interior detail in this Jumbo. I used some spare parts from an Auscision 422 class that I had lying around for the interior. I will need to construct interiors on future models and also the update the 3 other Jumbo's that I have running so I will detail this work then.
 
 
On the number 2 end there is no crew and the blinds are pulled most of the way down. In the early 90's there was a ban on Jumbo's leading by the number 2 end.
 
A coupe of the Prototype thanks to Dave Porter
 
 
 
 
One to finish off
 
 
Cheers Justin Moy
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Trainorama 42 class

Hi Guy's

Just a quick Blog. I have just finished weathering up 6 Trainorama 42's for a friend. That brings to the total of 8x 42 class loco's that I have weathered. Anyway it was a straight forward weathering of these. It did require a bit of research to work out how to go about it, but there was no need to modify the Loco's in anyway which is good. Anyway some photo's

This is 5 of the units numbered 4202-4206.
4201 I had returned to it's owner some time ago for inspection.
 
Here is a bit of a photographic essay of the work involved
This was the first mask. The Aim was to darken the grill area as well as the underframe and roof
This is the result. One thing that I had to do was go over the grills with a razer blade and remove any paint that was no required. This was a case of studying photographs and seeing how they weathered
The tape removed
5x 42's taped up
The next step was to mask and spray a faded coat of Tuscan. This is basically some Railey Paints Tuscan with a bit of Floquil Grime mixed it. This is an important step and the most time consuming. There is an Auscision 422 having the same steps in this picture. Getting the Tuscan to look the right tone is the hardest step but this really does make the weathering look good in the end
These 42's have had the paint faded and are ready for the next step. I need to leave them for a while and let the paint go hard. This could take a couple of weeks. The final steps to the weathering require washes of Floquil Paint mixed with Turps. The paint if not fully set would simply come off in this process.
This is 4201 at the end of the process. I have given this one a light dusting with Floquil Rail Brown along the lower half of the body but all the wet brush work has done it's job to highlight some of the detail like around the nose door.
 
Anyway here is a few shots of the finished products
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here is a couple of shots supplied by Bob Richardson to assist with the research
 
 
 
 
Cheers Justin Moy