Sunday 3 June 2012

Masking

Hi Guy's

As I promised a while back, My Blog is going to follow the weathering work on my Auscision AOOX/ABFX wagons. Here is some shots of the way that I go about masking in readiness for weathering. The aim of this masking is to give the wagons a coat of a faded green as the base for all the weathering. The Paint work on the real wagons faded over time and most AN green painted wagons really showed this. So basically I am masking up anything that is not to be green. Hand rails and steps are easy to repaint after ward so I don't bother to cover them up.

I work on a piece of glass. I lay out Tamiya Masking tape out and use a razor blade to cut out the sizes and shapes that I need. I then use the razor blade to lift up one corner of the tape and then transfer it to the model using the blade. I then place it in position and bring in a finger from my other hand to put pressure on the tape so I can remove the blade. I can manage to do some really fine masking with this method so even the fine print on the sides of the wagon can be masked. I will remove the masking at some point during the whole process so that the code boards and what ever else involved can be weathered.

Anyway here is a heap of photo's of the process which may explain the masking process a bit better than what I can write;


Anyway I hope these photo's show the work as it was. Off to the paint shops so some more photo's soon.

Cheers Justin Moy







No comments:

Post a Comment